Tuesday 8 March 2016

Changing how we teach



“For the most part, schools have been about students achieving academic success as a prerequisite for the transition into post-school work. We are not against the development of literacy, numeracy and academic achievement. However, it is possible to combine the two elements and teach the skills of achievement as well as responding to students’ needs, which builds upon the strengths and virtues of the students. The Positive Learning Framework incorporates both elements.” (pp.66 – Classroom Management – Engaging Students in Learning)

Both schools I have attended in my life (primary and secondary) failed to combine these two elements. There was a very strong emphasis on getting ‘high’ grades and trying to get the highest ATARs but the happiness and well-being of students was not taken into consideration. Strengths and virtues of students were also not taken into account and we were made to complete work the exact way the teacher wanted us to, regardless of the alternate ways that we learned best. Reflecting back on my VCE years, I have realised that the stress of all the deadlines and getting good grades outweighed the actual experience. Although, I had two really good teachers, the focus was on grades. I cannot count how many times I heard, “Don’t worry Bec. We will get you up to that A”. This caused me endless frustration as I never felt I was doing well. I went in getting Ds; this then turned to Cs. The focus was still on the A’s though. Personally, I was ecstatic with my grades. I had improved dramatically and worked countless hours developing my skills. I did not really care about the A on the report. I know learning is a lifelong process but I felt like in VCE that there was constant room for improvement. There was no single moment where I felt it was okay to settle and just be content.

“This philosophical shift is possible when teachers and schools move beyond discipline to an instructional, person-centred approach with a social and emotional emphasis that incorporates caring and trust, elements that are at the heart of teaching.” (pp.66 – Classroom Management: Engaging Students In Learning)

This quote actually makes me really sad as majority of the teachers I did not like. It is not that they were bad people, but they were not open to me and other students learning the ways that suited us. The class was all about them; them maintaining power, all of us listening to them and them trying to get all the content across in time for the bell. Many teachers, I feel, do not have the heart of teaching anymore. They constantly complain about the long hours spent marking, they only teach in the ways they want to and we do not have any choice but to pot along and hope that eventually we will have that ‘ah ha’ moment. For a lot of us though that ‘ah ha’ moment never comes. We are not engaged and we are made to feel like it is our fault. We get caught looking out the window and automatically we are rebellious students who show no respect. Where is the respect for us as learners though? You are supposed to be facilitators of knowledge, not dictators. You are supposed to guide us toward the answer. What is the point of trying to guide us if we do it in your way? It is like saying “I’ll help you through this maze, but only if you walk on your hands”. For many, it doesn’t make sense, so what is the point of tuning in, in class? Teachers are supposed to educate students but many are doing the opposite of this. It is really sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment